ACS International is currently seeking an Editor to support ACS Omega. Come be a part of the global ACS Publications’ Editorial Development team!
ACS Omega is a growing open-access journal dedicated to the rapid publication of scientifically sound results in chemistry and related fields. The Editor will oversee the day-to-day operation of peer review and the publication processes for submitted articles, maintaining quality and adapting to growth and market demands.
This is an excellent opportunity to work within the American Chemical Society’s dynamic Open Access team to ensure that ACS Omega becomes a leading fully open access journal for chemists. The role will be critical in maintaining the hallmarks of ACS Publications, including rigorous peer-review and rapid publication. The incumbent will be a central part of the process by collaborating with editors and authors to manage the peer review of submissions and make recommendations on manuscript suitability for publication. An essential part of the job will be providing excellent service to authors, reviewers, editors, and the journal. Additionally, the selected candidate will work with ACS staff from Production, Editorial and Author Services, Web Innovation, and Marketing to implement the journal’s strategic initiatives.
The incumbent will work within a global team of ACS Omega Editors and report to the Senior Managing Editor of ACS Omega who is based in Oxford.
• A Ph.D. degree in chemistry or allied sciences (e.g. biological sciences, engineering, environmental science, materials science, etc.) is required
• 1-3 years’ experience in STM publishing along with an understanding of Open Access, copyright, licenses, and publication ethics preferred
• Broad subject knowledge in chemistry or allied fields would be an advantage
• Ability to relate successfully to a variety of people externally and internally and form strong working relationships with other members of staff, authors, reviewers, and editors
• Ability to select the best content for additional promotion through social media, press releases, or similar
•Ability to make timely decisions by analyzing relevant details, sometimes with incomplete information and under time pressure
•Excellent organizational and time-management skills are required together with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities, manage own workload, prioritize and meet deadlines
•Good verbal and written communication skills (good use of language, grammar, and syntax)
•Excellent attention to detail
•Highly responsive to email communications and experienced at using computer software, including word processing, spreadsheets, and slide preparation for presentation
•A proactive approach to problem-solving is required
•Strong resourcefulness. Have self-confident manners and be self-motivated
•This position will be based in either the Oxford (UK), Beijing (China), or New Delhi (India) office of ACS International
To apply for a position, please submit your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, and JTang2@acs-i.org.